Thursday, August 13, 2009

Post Presentation

I can't log into Moodle this morning... but can log in to Blogger, so all is not lost. It's week four, and time to reflect on the literacy aspect of this unit as a whole. The first thought that comes to mind is how inspired I am to pursue this aspect of teaching much, much further. It is such an incredible thought to think that it is not too late to address a student's literacy skills once they reach secondary school. And it is not too late to inspire reluctant readers. I think what has been really outstanding about this unit is that it has demonstrated how effective its own principles are in the way that the coursework was delivered and the assessments were designed. I really wanted to read the material. I wanted to write the blog - mainly because it was so clear to me that it was my own ideas and learning and how I engaged with the material that was going to be most valued. This is a rarity, but it shouldn't be!

I find myself wishing I had time to do more. To read other people's blogs - because I've discovered there are many teachers and writers from all over the world blogging about this very subject - and I really look forward to reading them. I think that Professor Lowe's tutorial and Chris Tovani's book are an excellent starting point. Already their principles have entered into my thinking about how to plan lessons and assessments that enhance real learning. And I know this is just the beginning. My fervent hope is that I remember how strongly this course and the time I spent speaking with Don has made me feel about the importance of being a teacher who NOTICES things, CARES about them, and DOES something. I don't want to be a teacher who takes the easy way, and lets the "invisible" kids slip through the cracks.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Michelle, good to remind us that we can not look at what the education system offers us in our career as teachers, but what we can offer the education system.

    ReplyDelete